Volunteers who are eager to help out on days of service can start registering today.
Days of Service, Augusta University’s annual service project, gives university students, employees, and their families the opportunity to help community members who need it most. This year, the days of service will take place over three weeks, from November 1 to 22.
Service days 2022 will feature more than 60 in-person and virtual service projects supporting more than 30 community organizations, including museums, hospitals, animal shelters, food banks, youth and family centers, conservation organizations wildlife and more. Volunteers can work individually or in teams.
Kristie Johnson, Community Engagement Manager for the Office of Volunteer Services and Community Engagementencourages students and employees to use service days as a springboard for future service at CSRA.
This is exactly what Priscilla Wynn, Executive Assistant at the Finance office, did so when she first competed in Days of Service five years ago. She chose to volunteer for the Augusta Dream Center, a local resource center, with her sister.
“The UA Days of Service changed my life. My sister and I left that first day knowing that we had found new love. The need was so great. There were so many beautiful donations from the community, but not enough manpower and volunteers to get them ready for distribution. My sister and I are starting to lose sleep thinking about the little kids and the parents who acted like it was Christmas because they got free food and clothes,” she said.
Wynn has continued to work regularly with the Dream Center since 2017, supporting their free wardrobe and other initiatives. For the volunteer services team, Wynn’s experience is a testament to that.
“It’s stories like this that are the whole focus of AU Days of Service,” Johnson said.
To volunteer as a team:
- Establish a service project team. It can be a group of students, a group of employees of a university department, a hospital unit team or a group of friends of AU.
- Choose a team leader. This person will be responsible for registering the team and communicating with the nonprofit community partner about the project.
- Choose a service project. Each team must go to Days of Service Volunteer Registration Websitereview the available service projects and choose one.
- Register your team. Only the team leader should register for a project. The team leader will be asked to list the names of team members during the registration process. There must be only one entry per team.
To volunteer solo:
- Sign up as an individual volunteer. Go to the Service Days Registration Websitereview the available service projects and choose one.
The deadline for registration is Friday, October 7. Volunteers are encouraged to share their service work on social media with #AUGDaysOfService.
Email the Office of Volunteer Services and Community Involvement for more information.